Monday 24 July 2017

Some Thoughts on Astrology

{Image Source}
I've always had a bit of an ambivalent relationship with Astrology. I'm an Aries, but my personality is almost the complete opposite of what an Aries is supposed to be. I'm not courageous, confident, sporty, energetic or hot-tempered. I've always identified more with the personality type of Pisces, Cancer, or sometimes Aquarius on a good day. For that reason, I've always been a bit suspicious that where the Earth is in relation to the Sun when a person is born can determine their personality. That it can determine what will happen to them on any given day decades after they were born seems even more of a stretch.

I've had occasion to think about Astrology again recently though, when I was sorted into my Lodge at the Grey School of Wizardry. There are four Lodges, and students are sorted into them based on their Astrological Sign. Because I'm a Fire sign, I've been sorted into Flames Lodge. I have to admit, I was a little dismayed by this as I don't relate to the element of Fire at all.

Then I remembered that in Chinese Astrology I'm a Dragon. Not only that, but the year I was born in was a Fire Dragon year -- the fieriest sign of all! I tend to lean more towards Chinese Astrology because it runs on a 12-year cycle, and something big has happened in my life every 12 years so far. Plus being a dragon is kind of cool. In my Astrolenergies chart, I'm a triple Fire. It seems like it was meant to be. So I decided to run with it and embrace my fiery side in Flames Lodge! Perhaps it's time I was more confident, and let my enthusiasm for my passions show. Though I'm not so sure on the part about wanting to be the centre of attention ... we'll see!

{Image Source}
There are other ways of engaging with the concept of Astrology, too. The twelve personality types have their own distinct qualities, and it might be helpful to focus on these in a psychological and symbolic way as a path to self-improvement. Working on a different quality each month over the course of a year could be a very interesting journey to take.

From a more scientific perspective, as the Sun and the Moon move through the houses over the course of a year, their alignment within the solar system changes. Could the alignment of the Moon and planets have any affect on our bodies, our minds or our spirits? I certainly think the Moon is close enough to the Earth to have an affect on us. There are many theories from many cultures about what that effect might be, but I always like to rely on my own observations and intuition first. It's something I want to explore more.

{Image Source}

No comments:

Post a Comment