Wednesday 13 February 2019

Making My First Magickal Oil

Yesterday I made my first magickal oil. Oils have many names, depending on tradition: anointing oil, dressing oil, holy oil, condition oil, hoodoo oil or conjure oil. The oil I made was based on the Hoodoo tradition, and they have various names in that tradition alone. Spiritual oil is a good general name that doesn't tie the oil to any one tradition or religion.


My oil is made from things I had around the house -- essential oils and herbs from my stash. It's inspired by some Van Van Oil recipes I found online. Van Van Oil is a great oil for general success and luck, and is also worn as a perfume. It has a fresh, citrusy, grassy scent, and often contains vervain or lemongrass.

Please note this is not an officially recognised Van Van Oil recipe!
I have never used it before and cannot vouch for its effectiveness!


I mixed the oil in a small jar, which I'd purchased from a metaphysical shop and had previously contained herbs. I added the essential oils first:
* lemongrass, approx. 9 drops
* ginger, approx. 8 drops
* patchouli, 1-2 drops
* bergamot, 1-2 drops



Then I added the herbs:
* Melissa (Lemon Balm), approx. 1/4 teaspoon
* Poke Root, as above
* Bee Pollen, approx. 7 grains
* Pink Salt, a pinch


I didn't measure anything out precisely as I wasn't following any particular recipe. I tried to choose oils/herbs that have a fresh and citrus note. One source said that some Van Van Oil recipes have patchouli as that adds an earthy note, and I had some, so I added it. I have no idea whether it will smell good or terrible! I added Poke Root as it's good for protection and luck, bee pollen as its golden colour made me think of success, and pink salt as it was the only kind of salt I have, plus the pink colour added a warm and friendly aspect.

I then filled the jar with good quality olive oil. I was going to use standard olive oil from the supermarket, but then I found an extra virgin oil from a small company at the back of the cupboard, which we'd purchased while on holiday. I'd completely forgotten about it. I feel it must be a sign. There's enough to make perhaps 4 more oil blends.


I placed the jar on my kitchen windowsill to infuse. I will shake it every day (multiple times if I remember!) and open it in a month's time. The moon is waxing right now and it will be again then, so it seems appropriate. I'll report back then!


Sources:
http://doctorhawk.blogspot.com/2014/10/free-hoodoo-formulas.html
https://www.groveandgrotto.com/blogs/articles/eight-famous-magickal-oils-and-how-to-use-them

No comments:

Post a Comment