Tuesday 29 August 2017

Book Haul

Over the weekend I went to a new generic bookshop that had popped up in my area to buy a gift for a friend, and of course I had to check out the metaphysical books. The section was small but stocked with a surprising variety of choices. I couldn't help myself, and came away with a couple of things. The Element Encyclopaedia of 5,000 Spells by Judika Iles is a huge tome; a recipe book of spells of all different kinds. The Voodoo Doll Spellbook by Denise Alvarado was a huge surprise. Its particular brand of spellwork isn't very well known in Australia -- I haven't seen any other books on Hoodoo even in dedicated metaphysical shops.


I have to admit that I haven't yet read The Art of War by Sun Tzu. This beautiful boxed edition was less than half price, so I really have no excuse not to read it soon.


My final find is The Urban Primitive: Paganism in the Concrete Jungle by Raven Kaldera and Tannin Schwartzstein. It was recommended to me on the Grey School forums after I expressed my interest in urban animism. It's out of print, but I managed to find it online from a book trade website. It cost a little more than I would have liked, but it was worth it to satisfy my curiosity. I'm sure there will be a review soon.

No comments:

Post a Comment