Wednesday 7 March 2018

Collective Book Haul

Books I've acquired recently, in chronological order, oldest to newest:

I purchased Australian Druidry not so much to find out more about Druidry per se, but for its Southern Hemisphere take on a nature tradition. I haven't started it yet.
The Magical Battle of Britain is a collection of letters written by well-known British magickal practitioner Dion Fortune to her followers during World War II. I ordered it after seeing it referred to at least four times in different parts of the internet in less than a week. It seemed to be a sign. I've started it but I have to confess I'm finding it rather hard-going.

Of course I had to purchase Neil Gaiman's Norse Mythology when it came out. The book itself is stunning -- photos don't do justice to the golden glow of Mjollnir on the cover. I didn't expect it to be hard cover either, which was a pleasant surprise. I'm about half-way through it so far and it's very readable, with simple but elegant language.


These two books are the catalogues for the Harry Potter: A History of Magic exhibition at the British Museum. What I wouldn't have given to visit the exhibition in person! A Journey Through the History of Magic (on the left) is designed for children, and A History of Magic for adults. I've flicked through them both and they're simply breathtaking in their own ways. Acquiring these books was a saga in itself -- the first set never arrived, though I courteously waited 3 months, and Bloomsbury very kindly sent me a replacement set. One edge of A History of Magic is a little battered unfortunately, but I don't want to push my luck. I'm just glad to have them at all.


Finally are two books by Dr. Rupert Sheldrake: The Science Delusion and Science and Spiritual Practices. I decided to purchase them after hearing Dr. Sheldrake interviewed on Rune Soup podcast. I decided to start the older book first (The Science Delusion) and am enjoying it very much so far. I've already written some notes on it which will hopefully become a blog post at some point.

No comments:

Post a Comment