Tuesday 23 January 2018

The Grey School of Wizardry T.O.R.C.H. Award

As one of my goals for 2018, I've committed myself to earning the T.O.R.C.H. Award (Level 1). Each of the four houses in the Grey School has its own award. As a member of the Flames Lodge, I'm eligible to earn the TORCH award. I really think that this will help kickstart my studies which, I have to admit, have been languishing for a while.


So what do I have to do? Here's the list of tasks from the Grey School of Wizardry forums:


1. Completion of the class "Writing and Citing: How to Not Plagiarise".
2. Completion of at least one Level One required class.
3. Check in to the monthly Flames Lodge roll call for at least two months in a row (within the last six months)
4. Complete 4 classes within one semester and report on the appropriate forum thread.
5. Participate in at least one forum conversation within the past 3 months.
6. Take the initiation Oath for the Order of the Dancing Flames

And here's my progress on each of these requirements:

1. Completion of "Writing and Citing" class -- DONE!
2. Completion of at least one Level One required class -- DONE!
3. Check in to the monthly roll call -- I don't think I checked in for December, but I checked in for January, so half done!
4. Complete 4 classes within one semester -- I've completed 1 class this semester.
5. Participate in at least one forum conversation within the past 3 months -- not in any significant way.
6. Take the initiation Oath for the Order of the Dancing Flames -- not yet!


The most challenging requirement is completing 4 classes within one semester. Classes vary on the amount of work -- from reading the material and doing a multiple-choice test, to three or more essays and practical activities. This semester, I've completed one class, with a second almost finished, and a third just started. Semesters run from equinox to equinox, so that means I would have until 21st March if I wanted to fulfill the requirement this semester. That's just under two months away, but it doesn't seem very long to me!

At the moment, all my efforts are focussed on the annual Zine Fair, which is on the 11th February. I was unexpectedly offered a stall in the fair, and I want to take advantage of the opportunity. I also work 6 days a week, so I don't have as much time for my studies as as I'd like. Nevertheless I want to try!

Even if I'm not able to finish four classes this semester, at least I will have made some progress on them, and then I'll have 6 months once next semester rolls around to finish them. I will still have completed my goal of earning the award by the end of 2018.

At least, that's the plan!

No comments:

Post a Comment