Wednesday 12 June 2019

Yearlong Astrology Experiment

I've mentioned before on this blog that I'm not too sure about astrology. The sign that's been assigned to me doesn't reflect my personality at all, and it's hard to imagine the alignment of planets so far away from us can affect our everyday lives.

Still, many very intelligent people I've come across online not only believe in astrology but organise their lives in accordance with it, so I wasn't willing to dismiss it out of hand. So at the start of this year, I decided to embark on a yearlong experiment to see if astrology can really predict my life, and if so, which star sign I actually am.

I knew I wouldn't be able to keep up with daily horoscopes; I thought weekly would be best. I did some research to find a site that gives a free horoscope that isn't too long and tedious to read. I settled on Hidden Insights at Spiral Nature magazine.

At the start of this year, I set up a spreadsheet to record the weekly horoscopes for four signs: Aries, Sagittarius, Aquarius and Pisces. Aries is my sun sign, Sagittarius is my moon sign, Aquarius is my rising/ascendant sign and Pisces is the one I most relate to. At the start of every week, I copy the information for each day into the spreadsheet. Unfortunately the horoscope doesn't come out until Tuesday Australian time as we are ahead of the U.S. but that's only a minor inconvenience.

Later in the week, perhaps 2 or 3 times during the week, I check back on the spreadsheet to see if the predictions for the previous few days have come true. I also check and make a note if something significant has happened in my life. I have a colour code system for recording the accuracy of the predictions. I've noticed that about half the statements are advice on what to do rather than actual predictions. I leave those ones black.


I have to admit, I've skipped a few weeks when I found the process too tedious, but I'll persist until the end of the year, when I should have enough data to be able to draw some conclusions. I'm looking forward to finding out the results and I'll be sure to publish them here.

No comments:

Post a Comment